Dr Karen Ashwood
Post doctoral Neurodevelopmental Specialist
Dr Karen Ashwood is a Postdoctoral Neurodevelopmental Specialist with a PhD in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry from King’s College London. Her research career has been at the Institute of Psychology, Psychiatry and Neuroscience (IoPPN) focusing on neurodevelopmental conditions across the lifespan, including establishing a large-scale collaborative data pooling network as part of EU-AIMS (at the time, the largest single grant for autism in the world). Alongside her varied research roles, she has also worked clinically as part of the award-winning multidisciplinary team at the National Autism and ADHD Service for Adults (NAASA) at the Maudsley and Royal Bethlem Hospitals, working in both outpatient and inpatient services.
Dr Ashwood is particularly interested in gender differences in neurodevelopmental conditions, emotion processing skills and tools used for diagnosing ASD and ADHD. She provides pathway consultancy for companies wanting to create new or improve existing neurodevelopmental services.
- BSc Psychology (First Class Hons), University College London (2003)
- Deans Achievement Award in Life Sciences, University College London (2003)
- MSc Clinical Neuroscience (Distinction) King’s College London (2006)
- ADOS-G, ADOS-2, ADI-R, DIVA and PACS trained (2008)
- PhD Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience (IoPPN), King’s College London (2011)
- Chartered Member of the British Psychological Society (CPsychol, 2019)